Senior Backend Developer
Join us and build a streaming platform used by millions.
We’re excited to witness the recently announced partnership between Showmax, Sky and NBCU coming to life here in Prague. Following the recent announcement of our partnership; that will bring some of the world’s best content and technology to streaming customers across sub-Saharan Africa, Sky are hiring developers to make it happen.
You might know Sky for TV. But we’re more than that. We’re a tech business. We’re broadband and broadcasting, streaming and sports, mobile and magic. And we’re proud to be part of the Comcast NBCUniversal family, creating incredible technology and entertainment that connect millions of people to the moments and experiences that matter most.
We’ve already rolled out NBCUniversal’s streaming platform Peacock to our European audiences. Now you have the opportunity to work on an exciting new venture powered by Peacock’s leading, globally scaled technology.
What is the plot?
Our team develops and supports market-leading video streaming services, underpinned by state-of-the-art engineering principles. We do this at huge scale: for millions of customers globally. No matter the device, the time or the place, we make sure that our diverse audiences can easily find and enjoy whatever they want to watch, choosing from the world’s best entertainment, news and sport.
What role will you play?
We are looking for a highly skilled and experienced Senior Backend Developer to join our development team with a great hands-on attitude. As a Senior Backend Developer, he/she should embrace the full lifecycle of software development in the integration layer between client services and the backend, participating in all phases: Solution Design (HLD and LLD), Implementation, Testing (functional and non-functional), Operational Readiness and Support on Production, embracing a build-it own-it mind-set. His/her primary focus will be on developing efficient server-side logic, collaborating with cross-functional teams, and ensuring the overall performance and reliability of our systems. Additionally, he/she should have good communication skills and be able to mentor and support Junior Developers. While proficiency in Node.js is preferable, we welcome candidates with expertise in other backend technologies as well.
Your daily tasks:
- Take the Tech Owner role in several features, participating and contributing to the Solution Design, Implementation, Code Reviews, Testing, Operational Readiness, deploy to the delivered environments and support on Production.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including Architects, Project Managers, QA to define and implement robust backend solutions.
- Lead and participate in architectural discussions and decisions, providing technical expertise and guidance to the team.
- Write clean, maintainable, and efficient code that adheres to best practices and coding standards.
- Optimize application performance by identifying bottlenecks and implementing appropriate solutions.
- Troubleshoot and debug complex issues, providing timely resolutions and recommendations.
- Stay up to date with the latest industry trends and technologies, continuously enhancing your skills and knowledge.
- Mentor and support junior developers, contributing to a collaborative and growth-oriented team environment.
- Contribute to the improvement of development processes, tools, and methodologies
What skills do you need to play your role well?
- Experience working as a Backend Developer, with a proven track record of delivering high-quality software.
- Strong proficiency in at least one backend programming language (preferably in Node.js, but also Java or Go).
- Solid understanding of backend development principles, including asynchronous programming, RESTful APIs and caching mechanisms.
- Experience with modern backend frameworks and libraries (e.g., Express.js, GraphQL) is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with NoSQL databases (e.g., MongoDB, Redis) is a plus.
- Basic knowledge of cloud platforms and technologies (e.g., AWS, Azure, GCP), containerization (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes) and CI/CD is mandatory.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze and debug complex issues.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills, with the ability to effectively convey technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Self-motivated, with a passion for continuous learning and keeping up with emerging technologies and best practices.
- Experience working in an Agile development environment is preferred.
- Fluent English
What can you expect in return?
- Working in an international environment on an impactful globally scaled technology in cross-functional team with an agile approach
- Open and healthy working culture where we care about people as much as about stability of the code
- Annual bonus based on your performance
- Hybrid work, combining working from our office to be closer to the team and working from home
- Work life balance thanks to flexible working hours
- Generous free day scheme providing 25 days of holidays + 5 days of on-demand leave (sick days)
- Ergonomic office and kitchen full of tasty snacks
- Contribution to Multisport Card or Benefit Card
- Meal Allowance
- 2-3 days company offsite 2x per year
- Team building activities
- Events, meetups, hackathons in the office or elsewhere
- Language classes (English or Czech)