Join us in building one of the fastest growing video streaming platforms on the African market.
At Showmax, we’re bringing world-class video-on-demand entertainment to our customers. For us, that means fun, innovation, cutting-edge technology, and building a platform people like to use. Showmax, available in 50 countries in sub-Saharan Africa and over 30 international markets worldwide, is the highest rated streaming app in South Africa in both the Google Play and Apple app stores, as of 5 August 2022. We believe in our work and we focus on working with people - inspiring them to learn, experiment, and explore new ideas. We all love to push technology to its limits.
What is the plot?
Showmax is continuously expanding to other markets and extending its portfolio, meaning we are keenly focused on implementing new payment integrations and various deals such as data + Showmax subscription bundles.
As our Product Designer, you will be responsible for ensuring that great experiences have been designed for users in the viewing, commerce and payments space. You play an important role during all stages of product development. You must be skilled at translating the goal of the product into a functional user experience and nurturing that experience as the product matures through different stages of the product life cycle. You collaborate with Peacock to ensure that Showmax's experiences are relevant and fit for its users.
What role will you play?
The role is central to ensuring a user-centric focus by collaborating with cross-functional teams, including Product, Marketing, Content, and Content Operations. It extends cooperation to external partners like Peacock designers and vendors (e.g., Moment, MNOs), fostering a dynamic design ecosystem.
The position aligns closely with in-market teams, the customer experience team, user research, and the payments team to holistically address product requirements in the commerce space. This collaborative approach enhances team cohesion and integrates user experience considerations throughout the product development process.
Your daily tasks:
- Actively participate in the product discovery process, collaborating with product managers, researcher, and analysts to identify opportunities that enhance the user experience and conversion rates in both the viewing and commerce domains.
- Contribute to ideation and concept development for new features and improvements in the viewing and commerce experiences, utilizing design thinking methodologies to prototype, test, and refine design concepts. Work with CRO specialist to design and optimize great marketing pages, including designing AB-tests to improve conversion rates.
- Work with payments and commerce team to design true Africa-first experience for sign up to pay journeys, also through partners.
- Review and comment on proposed designs in the commerce and viewing space for global roadmap features translated for Showmax as well as Showmax Specific Feature requirements delivered as part of dedicated capacity.
- Closely collaborate with UX research team to identify features and experiences critical for the African market.
- Contribute to commerce and viewing roadmap and backlog requirements from Peacock.
- Lead the design elements that Showmax is responsible for.
- Review and comment on marketing designs to ensure user experience and design principles are considered.
- Mock up experiences for Peacock and Showmax Senior management to ensure common understanding of what is required and that features are delivered against requirements.
- Drive and contribute to conceptualisation and design of holistic graphic approach and high level UI solutions.
- Lead design brainstorms and workshops.
- Facilitate the solving of complex UX problems, especially in the commerce, mobile and football experience space which is a core strategic focus for Showmax.
- Ensure brand consistency is maintained across Peacock and and Showmax deliverables and ensure correct application across products.
- Work with Peacock, product and UX research to ensure visual and interaction design continuity across products.
- Keep abreast of latest design trends and promote the incorporation of these into design thinking and solutions.
- Regular reporting to Senior Manager: Product on deliverables, project status and issues.
- Work on multiple projects at one time, using strong communication skills to manage time and expectations appropriately.
- Own the style guide with marketing.
What skills do you need to play your role well?
- Proven experience in all phases of the design process including user research, copywriting, wireframing, prototyping, visual design, interaction design, and usability testing.
- Deep understanding of users and ability to meet their needs through technology solutions are essential.
- Effective problem solving and analytical skills with the ability to work with data, metrics and experimentation.
- Strong track record on designing great experiences both in the commerce and viewing space.
- Experience with running/driving software as a service or subscription focused products.
- Exceptional understanding of UX and Design principles.
- Solid track record in working with Vendors and other platform teams.
- A solid grounding in TV, web, mobile UI design and construction with proven track record.
- Good understanding of usability heuristics and UX design principles.
- Experience in brand development and implementation across UI and advertising channels.
- Expert understanding of front-end design and development practice for web and mobile browsers, including HTML5 and CSS3.
- Experience in applying design processes used to solve complex problems.
- Proficiency in designing experiences that work across any device.
- Experience in presenting and articulating design proposals to peers, executives and customers.
- Mastery of design and prototyping tools such as Figma.
- Significant experience creating polished visual design specifications, style-guides and design presentations.
What can you expect in return?
- Working in an international environment on an impactful globally scaled technology in cross-functional team with an agile approach.
- Work equipment as per your specifications.
- Annual bonus based on your performance.
- Hybrid work, combining working from our office to be closer to the team and working from home.
- Work life balance thanks to flexible working hours.
- Generous free day scheme providing 25 days of holidays + 5 days of on-demand leave (sick days).
- Contribution to Multisport Card or Benefit Card.
- Meal Allowance.
- Learning opportunities with access to Udemy, O’Reilly, and our internal library of physical books, as well as a budget for attending conferences, including strong support if you want to present at a conference yourself.
- Team building activities.
- Language classes (English or Czech).
Is this the right position for you? I look forward to receiving your CV/LinkedIn profile at email@example.com.