Java Developer Online Video Platforms
Join us and build a streaming platform used by millions.
We’re excited to witness the recently announced partnership between Showmax, Sky and NBCU coming to life here in Prague. Following the recent announcement of our partnership; that will bring some of the world’s best content and technology to streaming customers across sub-Saharan Africa, Sky are hiring developers to make it happen.
You might know Sky for TV. But we’re more than that. We’re a tech business. We’re broadband and broadcasting, streaming and sports, mobile and magic. And we’re proud to be part of the Comcast NBCUniversal family, creating incredible technology and entertainment that connect millions of people to the moments and experiences that matter most.
We’ve already rolled out NBCUniversal’s streaming platform Peacock to our European audiences. Now you have the opportunity to work on an exciting new venture powered by Peacock’s leading, globally scaled technology.
What is the plot?
We're the Online Video Platforms department. The team behind your favourite Sky products, and the platforms that power them. We make every moment magical, everywhere. Our team is made up of self-motivated, big thinkers who have an interest in solving problems and find new ways to captivate millions of customers by putting them at the heart of everything we do! From Sky Glass, Sky Q, Peacock and NOW to news and sports apps, we make entertainment even better and we can’t wait to get started on what’s next!
What role will you play?
You will be part of a dynamic team developing client applications and making sure our technology delivers the best experience for our customers.
- Lead the design, development and testing for new and existing Java microservice applications.
- Promote the use of container technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Utilize pair-programming and help mentor and progress junior developers
- Chip in or support training sessions to share knowledge with other members of your team/wider department e.g. training workshops, proof of concept overviews, lightning talks
- Maintain software delivery principles and guidelines based on internal Sky standards and industry best-practice
- Strive for continuous improvement of our systems and ways of working
- Participate in research and technical initiatives to improve department technical capabilities.
- Good system development knowledge in building scalable applications within Java
- Experience working with REST APIs and noSQL Databases e.g. Cassandra
- An understanding of systems e.g. Kafka, Amazon Kinesis, ActiveMQ
- Applied knowledge of agile methodologies and software engineering concepts e.g. XP, Scrum, Pair Programming, TDD, BDD
- Familiarity with configuration and build tools such as Jenkins, Gradle, Maven
- Familiarity with standard monitoring and logging tools including Prometheus and Grafana
- A willingness to collaborate in a cross-team environment.
- Knowledge of design patterns and SOLID principles
- Practical experience building and working in a CI/CD environment
What can you expect in return?
- Working in an international environment on an impactful globally scaled technology in cross-functional team with an agile approach
- Open and healthy working culture where we care about people as much as about stability of the code
- Work equipment as per your specifications
- Annual bonus based on your performance
- Hybrid work, combining working from our office to be closer to the team and working from home
- Work life balance thanks to flexible working hours
- Generous free day scheme providing 25 days of holidays + 5 days of on-demand leave (sick days)
- Ergonomic office and kitchen full of tasty snacks
- Contribution to Multisport Card or Benefit Card
- Meal Allowance
- Learning opportunities with access to Udemy, O’Reilly, and our internal library of physical books, as well as a budget for attending conferences, including strong support if you want to present at a conference yourself
- 2-3 days company offsite 2x per year
- Team building activities
- Events, meetups, hackathons in the office or elsewhere
- Language classes (English or Czech)