Backend Quality Engineer at ShowmaxApply now
Join us in building and maintaining one of the largest video streaming platforms in the world.
Showmax brings video-on-demand entertainment to customers across Sub-Saharan Africa. For us, that means fun, innovation, technology, and building products that people love to use.
We are looking for an experienced QA engineer to help us build a strong foundation for the transformation of our platform.
Showmax runs microservices, most of which are written in Ruby. In an effort to increase both performance and reliability, we’ve decided to migrate some of our services to Go. The transition needs to be smooth and well-managed so that other microservices can keep working while we rebuild and enhance. Testing is an essential part of this process.
We are looking for someone who wants to:
- Work within a microservice architecture composed of REST APIs, with workers (mostly) implemented in Go or Ruby.
- Test the product in any way that's appropriate, be it exploratory or automated, solo or in cooperation with other teammates.
- Advocate quality with a focus on user experience, reliability, performance, and monitoring.
- Work with product managers and designers on new features - from architecture to delivery.
- Facilitate frequent deployments to staging and production environments, ensuring the service is stable and working as intended.
Get in touch if you:
- Are a skilled exploratory tester (experience with testing backend services is a big plus);
- Have coding skills and experience with test automation, preferably on the API layer (being able to read Go and/or Ruby will be helpful).
- Are able to work with Linux.
- Have solid communication skills in English and are able to communicate your ideas effectively.
- Have a strong sense of personal responsibility for your work and its overall impact on the product.
- Have experience testing within the full development lifecycle, from design to deployment and monitoring.
- Have a DevOps mindset - running, monitoring, debugging, and improving the application is a vital part of software development and testing.
- Know how to lead by example, inspire, and help more junior testers.
- Are keen to come up with new ideas to innovate and break the status quo.
- Have strong analytical skills and have experience deciding on a tech stack based on data, not gut feeling.
- Are interested in having a good work life balance. We appreciate hard work, but don’t support working overtime.
The following is a list of some of the technologies we use at Showmax. If you have experience with any of it, it's a plus. If not, don’t worry - you’ll have a lot of chances to learn!
- Rspec, Postman, Burp/Charles
- PostgreSQL, Redis (for backend storage)
- Linux (we run it everywhere)
- Loki and Grafana (for logs)
- Docker, AWS, EKS (managed kubernetes)
- Kafka (for asynchronous communication)
- Prometheus and Alertmanager (for monitoring)
- HAProxy and Varnish (HTTP load-balancing and caching)
Working @ Showmax:
- 25 days of holidays.
- 5 sick days.
- Annual performance-based bonus.
- Working remotely (relocation support available) or at our office in Prague.
- The equipment that you prefer - Lenovo or Apple laptop, monitors, etc.
- Meal vouchers, MultiSport card.
- Education - Internal knowledge sharing, conferences, online courses, time allocation for learning purposes, book club.
- Ergonomic workspace, good coffee and snacks in the office.
See other positions (22)