CDN Engineer at ShowmaxApply now
Who we are looking for:
- Engineer who works with Linux and has experience with server performance optimization. Our machines serve tens of gigabits per second each and we serve hundreds of gigabits in total.
- Someone who is able to automate your work. We look both for talented system engineers who are able to automate regular synchronization scripts as well as for developers who might spend their time mainly with improvement of CDN decision logic.
- Colleagues who will help us to improve and change stuff. We are merging multiple systems with different webservers, network topologies and deployments. There is always some challenge laying around.
You don’t know everything about CDN, OSes, coding and networks. But you know something and you are able to learn? Yes, that sounds just about right!
Technologies we use are Debian Linux, NginX, Python, Varnish, Go, HAProxy and Puppet.
We recently started to merge the content delivery network (CDN) of two independent video streaming products and as the project will continue for at least another year we are looking for someone who is interested in performance tuning, storage architecture, networking, Linux and clusters.
We don’t say that one CDN is better than the other one in all the aspects. We are likely to cherry pick technologies from each of them and merge the systems piece by piece.
Both architectures have something in common: in-house designed Supermicro servers, Arista and Cisco networking hardware, Linux-based operating systems. But otherwise they are all different: NginX vs. Varnish, Debian vs. CentOS, full disk encryption vs. file-based encryption, GlusterFS vs. independent storage servers with in-house built systems for data synchronisation and lookup. In each of the products there is an independent content management system (CMS) and more or less an independent team of developers. When we require a change in the product we need to talk to colleagues and agree on the required steps with them.
We don’t only use our own CDNs. We also partner with well-known CDN vendors to serve our users in countries where our CDN doesn’t have its own points of presence (PoPs) or for products where we don’t know the user habits, yet. So another project you might work on is our internal multiCDN infrastructure that should be able to select the best possible CDN for a particular user, based on real-time data.
We code in Python but we also have some shell scripts as well as Go in place and we use Debian Linux in production.
Our users are spread across sub-saharan Africa, the server infrastructure is primarily in South Africa and the team is based in Prague, Czech Republic. This position is remote-first: you don't need to relocate to Prague, but on some special occasions we may have informal meetings there, and you are welcome to join us in person (once that will be possible again).
A bit about the team
In the CDN team we aren't a team of pure System Engineers, Developers, Network Engineers nor testers. But we have a passion to try each of these. We run CDN Linux machines in distant geo locations. We automate in Python. Sometimes we have to test and compare indifferent hardware or network equipment or we try to modify the structure of our deployments and compare the performance impact.
We don’t only maintain our own CDN but we also leverage public CDN services and we have an in-house built decision algorithm to select the best CDN for particular ISP in the real-time.
What you’ll get in return?
- 25 days of holidays
- 5 sick days
- Annual bonus based on performance
- Fully remote work possible
- Flexible hours
- Equipment that you prefer - Lenovo or Apple laptop, monitors, etc.
- Meal vouchers, MultiSport card
- Education - internal knowledge sharing, conferences, online courses, time allocation for learning purposes
- Ergonomic workspace, good coffee and snacks in the office.
We are looking forward to hearing from you.
See other positions (22)