Data Scientist Content Discovery at ShowmaxApply now
At Showmax, we develop, maintain, and operate one of the largest video-on-demand services in Sub-Saharan Africa. In other words, we provide entertainment to customers in developing economies: Hollywood blockbusters, local African productions, 24-hour news, live sports, and more. Our Prague office is responsible for product development, engineering, and R&D activities. Currently, we employ around 100 people and work closely with hundreds more in the Republic of South Africa.
What you’ll be doing:
- Asking and answering questions about our customers and their viewing habits.
- Are people who watch a daily soap opera less likely to churn?
- Do people who search for something to watch end up finding assets they like, how long does it take them and what are the features of the product affecting their experience the most?
- Help product owners design A/B tests and similar experiments to better understand our users.
- Providing ad hoc and exploratory analyses leading to better understanding of how customers interact with our service. You will not build business reports.
- Discussing the outcomes of the analysis with Product managers and thus affecting the immediate choices in how our service evolves.
To apply, you’ll need:
- Passion for data and understanding how to manage it.
- Decent statistical knowledge and some experience with machine learning models.
- Experience processing, analyzing and visualizing data.
- We work mostly with SQL and Python (especially using pandas and plotly), but we will welcome anyone with a similar experience (R, Matlab, SAGE or other statistical languages).
- Attention to detail, patience to answer questions and dig deeper.
- Ability to take big and abstract question and break it down to smaller tasks.
- Willingness to learn and explore.
- Good communication skills in English.
These will set you apart from other applicants:
- Knowledge of Spark, Delta Lake, or other open-source big-data tools, and distributed computing of large-scale data.
- Experience with development and validation of machine learning models.
- Good understanding of hypothesis testing (e.g. various statistical significance tests).
What we offer:
- Open and healthy working culture. Want to contribute to the activities of other teams? You’re welcome to do so! Want to work over 40 hours per week? Please don’t :-)
- 25 days of holidays + 5 days of on-demand leave (sick days).
- Fully remote work if you prefer to be at home (even post-covid).
- Ergonomic office and kitchen full of tasty (often healthy) snacks, if you prefer to join us at the office.
- Freedom to choose your laptop from a few preselected models. You can choose which OS you use and what you install. You can also choose some additional hardware and software.
- Access to Udemy, O’Reilly, and our internal library of physical books.
- Multisport Card (optional, refunded 50%).
- Language classes (English or Czech) and a very international environment. At the Prague office, you’ll find colleagues from the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Brazil, Belgium, South Africa, the USA, and other far-flung places.
- Dedicated budget for attending conferences, and strong support if you want to present at a conference yourself!
- Flexible working hours.
- Access to movies and series on the Showmax platform - both in the office and home.
See other positions (18)