Data Analyst at ShowmaxApply now
At Showmax, we develop, maintain, and operate one of the largest video-on-demand services in Sub-Saharan Africa. In other words, we provide entertainment to customers in developing economies: Hollywood blockbusters, local African productions, 24-hour news, live sports, and more. Our Prague office is responsible for product development, engineering, and R&D activities. Currently, we employ around 100 people and work closely with hundreds more in the Republic of South Africa.
Right now, the Analytics team consists of 7 engineers and 2 part-time students. Showmax generates hundreds of GB of data daily, and we are short of a pair of hands to analyse it—that’s where you can help! :)
What you’ll be doing:
- On a daily basis, you will process and visualise data, and find insights hidden deep under the surface. Often, you will present to product managers in the Prague office and, from time to time, to our colleagues in South Africa.
- Checking the impact and statistical significance of the changes we introduce - usually in the form of A/B tests.
- Extending our understanding of data through exploratory analysis (e.g. figuring out what correlates best with user retention).
- Processing Big Data: sometimes in the form of tabular data, sometimes in Spark or Delta Lake, sometimes even in the form of unstructured data in JSONs.
To apply, you’ll need:
- Experience with Python (especially using pandas) and SQL. Alternatively, experience with R, Matlab, SAGE or other statistical languages.
- Understanding of basic machine learning terms, data processing, and statistics.
- Willingness to learn and explore.
- Good communication skills in English.
These will set you apart from other applicants:
- Knowledge of Spark, Delta Lake, or other open-source big-data tools, and distributed computing of large-scale data.
- Experience with development and validation of machine learning models.
- Fluency in data visualisation.
- Good understanding of hypothesis testing (e.g. various statistical significance tests, type 1 and 2 errors, etc).
What we offer:
- Open and healthy working culture. Want to contribute to activities of other teams? You’re welcome to do so! Want to work over 40 hours per week? Please don’t :-)
- 25 days of holidays + 5 days of on-demand leave (sick days).
- Fully remote work if you prefer to be at home (compulsory until the end of the pandemic).
- Ergonomic office and kitchen full of tasty (often healthy) snacks, if you prefer to join us at the office after the pandemic.
- Freedom to choose your laptop from a few preselected models. You can choose which OS you use, what you install, and how you use the laptop. You can also choose some additional hardware.
- Access to Udemy, O’Reilly, and our internal library of physical books.
- Multisport Card (optional, refunded 50%).
- Language classes (English or Czech) and a very international environment. At the Prague office, you’ll find colleagues from the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Brazil, Belgium, South Africa, the USA, and other far-flung places.
- Dedicated budget for attending conferences, and strong support if you want to present at a conference yourself!
- Flexible working hours.
- Access to movies and series on the Showmax platform - both in the office and home.
- Dedicated channel where you can post photos of your pets (especially cats).
See other positions (18)