Python Backend Developer - CMS at ShowmaxApply now
Showmax is one of the largest and most successful subscription video on demand services serving sub-Saharan Africa. Showmax apps are available for smart TVs, smartphones, tablets, computers, media players and gaming consoles. Engineering team has the unique challenge of supplying shows from Hollywood’s biggest studios, local African productions, and live sports from around the world to consumers in developing economies - all without compromising quality.
Engineering and development activities are centred in Prague. This team of almost 100 people is the engine room of Showmax and acts as a streaming centre of excellence for the entire MultiChoice Group.
Bit about the CMS Team:
The Showmax Content Management System (CMS) team is a small (5 people) Prague-based group taking care of anything and everything content related, from video encoding to APIs. And we DO have loads of very good content!
We are the team where a lot of big projects start - because without us, there’s no content to watch and no data to display. Here’s an overview of what we do:
- CMS - We develop and maintain our internal web app used by content teams to manage metadata of our great movies and series. The system is also used for managing various parts of our platform, like our CDN. The CMS is developed in Python and Django and relies heavily on the django-admin functionality, using PostgreSQL as storage. The data from PostgreSQL is periodically denormalized and exported to ElasticSearch. (blog)
- REST APIs - These are serving content metadata to our client applications and other teams at Showmax - blazingly fast. We run them in Python’s Falcon framework, using ElasticSearch as a data source. (blog)
Who are we looking for:
- Strong programming skills in Python and/or other programming language (with a strong motivation to learn Python)
- Experience with web development and REST APIs
- English language skills good enough to talk/write daily with our international colleagues both in the Czech Republic and South Africa
- Willing to work in a friendly team and closely cooperate with others
What sets you apart:
- Knowledge of Falcon and Django frameworks
- Familiarity with PostgreSQL and ElasticSearch
- Knowledge of video encoding technologies and principles - codecs, ffmpeg, DRM
- Experience with high volume deployments (uwsgi + gevent)
- Experience with DevOps culture - Docker, Unix
- Product and user-oriented mindset
What Is It Like To Work With Us:
The engineering team plays a vital role in making product decisions by working with the product team to define new features and develop new ideas. Our organization is structurally flat, so we participate in product decisions with product managers as peers. It’s a startup experience at Showmax...one that happens to be backed by one of the biggest media and entertainment companies in Africa - Multichoice.
We use open source software heavily and we try to contribute as much as possible by submitting patches to existing projects, and by open-sourcing a bunch of projects of our own.
We run agile development methodology (not SCRUM!) and we realize things can break - there’s no progress without ocasional problems. Thanks to robust monitoring and logging, we’re able to fix any issues quickly.
We try to use the latest technologies, improve our product every day, and develop our own technical solutions whenever it makes sense.
What you’ll get in return:
- 25 days of holidays
- Annual bonus based on performance
- Equipment based on your preferences (laptop, monitors, etc.)
- 5 sick days to use if you’re under the weather
- Meal vouchers, MultiSport card
- Education - internal knowledge sharing, conferences, online courses, time allocation for learning purposes
- Flexible hours and possibility of home office
- Ergonomic workspace, good coffee and snacks in the office
See other positions (22)